View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have reattached the AP and Lateral x-rays which show, as you indicated in your initial post, a distal nondisplaced fracture of the long finger metacarpal, just proximal to the MP joint. The lateral x-ray shows about 20 degrees of apex dorsal angulation. This angulation explains why the length of the long finger metacarpal is a bit shortened on the AP x-ray.

If I am correct--- and your nephew is about 10 years old----nonoperative treatment is likely to result in an excellent functional result. I would anticipate that this would be healed within 4-6 weeks of injury.

So if the injury occurred 2 weeks before the x-rays that you attached (dated mid march), it's now been about 4 weeks. If the bone is nontender on palpation at this time, it's pretty likely that the fracture has healed, and I would certainly expect that he might be able to play hockey by mid April.

Having a 13 yo myself, I understnd how eager he must be to resume play, and I think it's reasonable to have him re-evaluated and re-xrayed to assess whether the fracture may be healed.

Best to you.