Go Back   Rearm Yourself Community Forum > Main Category > Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Default Reverse Shoulder Rplacement 10 Week Progress

If you are considering the Reverse Shoulder Replacement you may be interested in how my progress is coming after 10 weeks after surgery.
First off my injury is one that occured over 35 years ago and has had previous surgery with the replacement of the ball on my right arm over 22 years ago.I am right handed. I got quite abit of use out of that surgery but wore it out to the point that I was in quite abit of pain with simple tasks such as riding a bicycle or even playing golf. The doctors that did the origional surgery did an excellent job but were unable to do more as I have no rotator cuff left and the way I have used my arm has trained muscles to compensate for pain greatly reducing my motion. I then heard about Dr. Tomanio who introduced me to this proceedure and with some research and alot of faith I decided to go thru with the procedure.
On the 16th of September I had the procedure done at Rochester General Hospital. The care there was wonderful and I spent 3 days and nights in the hospital. The pain was well controlled with the use of a block which lasted 18-24hrs. Then meds thru an IV for 2 days then pain pills by mouth which I stopped after 3 days out of the hospital. The pain was very bearable. The following Friday the stitches were removed and I started Theropy twice a week at Sports PT. The theropy is going along very well. I need to tell you that it is alot of work but you get out of it what you put in it. When I first started I could hardly straighten my arm. Today I have about 60% range of motion with absolutely no pain. I can achive about 85-90% with assistance my problem is that I do not have the strength. Remember, I was compensating alot prior to my surgery and I need to wake up and redevelop the muscles that have atrophed. This will come and my goal is to achived 90 - 100%. It will be alot of hard work and I honestly do not plan on a total range of motion but and am giving myself 1 year before I say that I am done. But I am Pain free. Doctor T. asks that I don't move any Refrigerators.

Would I do it again???? You bet I am very pleased and very Optimistic.
The end of December I will be going down to Florida for the Winter where I plan on riding my Bike and Golfing Pain Free.

I hope that this has helped anyone who may have concerns about having this type of surgery. It is a major surgery and it is an individual decision.

Mike S.