Go Back   Rearm Yourself Community Forum > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default Lateral elbow ligamentous injury may be a cause of "instability"

When it comes to elbow instability, most people may be aware of the type of ligament injury that throwing athletes like baseball pitchers get. The MCL (medial collateral ligament) on the inside of the elbow may need to be fixed with so-called Tommy John surgery.

What's as prevalent, if not more frequently injured, however, is a LCL (lateral collateral ligament) injury---which may follow an elbow dislocation or even at times stretch out after a fall or sprain. See the pic attached of the normal anatomy. LCL results in the feeling that the elbow gives out or pops, particularly when a load is applied, like might occur when getting out of a chair.

Unless skilled at performing a "Pivot-shift" test, the problem may be difficult to diagnose.
Click on this link for an example of this test---and look at the xray attached which reveals the subluxation of the joint-------called Posterolateral Rotatory Instability:

http://www.rearmyourself.com/video/?...r.lclpreop.flv

The reason I am posting this new thread now is that I recently received a note from a patient who is now more than 1 year following a LCL reconstruction for this problem. She was extremely disabled by her instabiltiy and finally elected to have the ligament reconstructed. She is very happy and the photos attached illustrate the type of reconstruction that I perform. For more information visit this link:

http://www.rearmyourself.com/article...teral-ligament